Google

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Evolution of Cancer - Disbelief

THE FIRST OF TWENTY-TWO POSTS REGARDING THE EVOLUTION OF CANCER.

I remember the spring day in March when I was first diagnosed...it is the day the world stood still. It is like having an out of body experiment. If you are like me you felt disbelief. Did the Doctor just say, "I have cancer"? He/She must have my charts switched with someone else's...it is a mistake and can not be me! The sad reality is...it is you...cancer has found a way into your life.

Individuals who never had cancer think in one diminsion...about how terrible it must be...they tend to focus soley on the physical aspects. In my fight...psycology was just as challenging if not more than the physical affects. Granted the two are connected...but my scars healed, hair grew back, and am no longer undergoing chemotherapy and yet I still bear the psycological affects of the days long past.

So how can you progress through the evoluction of cancer in a healthy and spiritual way? The answer is different for everyone. But the bottom line is to use this time to reflect. Do not rush to the finish line, thinking that when you are curred that all will be fine. Believe me you will not be fine. A lot of bagage i.e. feelings develope as you fight cancer. It is normal, but if you rush through using a defence mechanism of, "I am fine...everything is ok", then you will be pushing your feelings deeper and deeper into your sub-concience. This is what I did and believe me...years later it is difficult to sort it all out.

Another thing family and friends are very important at this time. Without them I would have not made it. Surround yourself with those you love and that love you. And the most important thing is pray. I believe in GOD! I know for a fact that I am here due to his divine intervention (I will share this story later). Regardless if you believe, or by what name you call him...pray. And allow/incourage others to pray. You need all the support you can get.

Disbelief was my first emotion fighting cancer. I was stunned and I knew that I would be on a long road to recovery. This thought is what brought me to my next emotion of fear.

0 comments: